Saturday, October 2, 2010

Burda 7866 - Kimono Sleeve Top

 Last week, Fabricland finally had a sale on Vogues and Burdas, so I bought a handful of each that I've been wanting.  Among the Burdas was this top.  I wasn't planning on making this anytime soon, but as I was reading through each of my new patterns, I noticed that this one was really easy.  So, I decided to be spontaneous and whip myself up a top.  This is the second thing I've made for myself this year.  I figured I deserved to try this "instant gratification" thing that everyone's been raving about.
Burda 7866
I bought this fabric from the bargain section at Fabricland sometime last year.  I was planning on making a long-sleeved V-neck top with it, but I wasn't particularly keen on it.  I decided it would be good to use for my first trial of this pattern, as I wouldn't be heartbroken if it didn't turn out.
 This top took me 2 hours and 5 minutes to make.  For me, that's amazing.  But I could have saved myself a ton of time by simply serging my seams instead of stretch-stitching and then serging.  Back when I was 18 and had my first serger, I thought it was the most wonderful thing ever invented and I rarely ever used my sewing machine.  I sewed all my funky cotton pants with serged seams, and they held up just fine.  Once I went to college, I discovered that the proper way to sew seams is to sew them first and then serge them.  It's certainly more accurate, but for a project like this, it wouldn't matter if my seams weren't perfect.  Anyways, to make a long story short, next time I will simply serge my seams, and hopefully cut my time in half.
 I was so impressed with the accurate fit of my Burda cargo capris that I cut and sewed the size 18 again.  I didn't make any alterations.  The only thing I fiddled with was how much to hem the sleeves and the bottom.  I wasn't liking how it was fitting at the hips, so I folded the bottom up 3", and it was much better.  I hemmed the sleeves 1 1/2".  I hemmed both with the coverstitch on my serger.
 I love how taking pictures of yourself makes you less judgemental of the little things.  When I first put my top on, I wasn't sure how I felt about it.  This top would probably be nicer in a drapier knit.  Nevertheless, once I saw a few pictures, I fell in love with it.  I love the neckline, the sleeves, and how it hugs me just right at the hips.  
 I'm inspired to make a few more of these.  I've been living in jeans and t-shirts for the past year, since I left the Bridal House and embarked on my new career of upholstery and seamstressing.  This top is close enough to a t-shirt that I feel comfortable wearing it around the house, and it's dressy enough to help ease me into the idea of embracing my funky fashion sense more often.
 I probably won't make another one of these right away, as I have a few more wardrobe basics that I want to tackle first, but knowing that it'll take me just over an hour to whip out another one makes it very enticing.
 Burda has won me over once again!  Garment #2 for 2010 is a success!  Bring on the sewing bug!

4 comments:

  1. it's really cute! is it comfy in the sides?? The sleeves look so big! But it's super cute on you and a HUGE step up from t-shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! What a fun pattern. I love those instant gratification projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, this top is as comfy as it gets. It's baggy on top, but doesn't feel like a sack because it's fitted from the waist down. It's more comfy than an XL t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, Cute pattern! I like your fabric choice. It's a cute top with jeans!

    ReplyDelete