Now we're gettin' down to the nitty gritty! The week of the wedding, we had a fitting on Monday, and I was thrilled that it was looking better every time. That's a good thing! I can't get over how small her waist looks! I do love a good corset...
|Close up of bodice|
|Hem pinned up - back view|
|Hem pinned up - Front view|
|Lovin' those pleats!|
|Lace trim hem on the front|
I first stitched my lining and satin layers together close to the edge, then I serged them. Then I sewed the lace trim on. I measured the dress to determine how much lace I would need, and I ended up buying 4m. I only had 11.5" leftover! Yesss!
|Lots of pinning at the corners!|
After everything was sewn, serged, trimmed in lace, pressed, and pinned, I settled in for a long evening of hand sewing. I made my stitches half this size when I went around the corners to keep them from getting wavy.
We had our very last fitting on Thursday, and I was thrilled that the hem turned out so good! It better have; I spent almost 6 hours on it! Phew.
When we first put the satin overdress on, it was very slinky and heavy, and it was quite apparent that the dress would not stay put with a couple of lace cap sleeves. I sewed white bias tape to the back of the dress and the curve of the armhole of the bodice. I hand sewed the bias tape to the inside of the corset.
This is what the back looked like when everything was sewn. The dress is completely finished here except for the cap sleeves. My last step was to hand sew them to the inside of the dress.
|Upper edge of dress hand sewn to corset|